Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Quilting, A Passion

I have always been a creative type person. One of my passions is making quilts, for myself and for others. It all began one day about 20 years ago when a dear friend, Betty, and I were having tea and talking about things we wanted to do. She said what we should do is make a quilt for our grandsons (then about 5) for Christmas. I thought that would be a great idea, so I went home and started an Overall Bill quilt for my grandson. I worked feverishly and with the help of my dear husband, JR, we actually got it all hand quilted and ready for his Christmas present. Betty never did finish that first quilt, but she made many others in the following years, as did I.

My favorite thing is hand quilting. I piece quilt tops just so I will have something to quilt. I'm not saying I do them all by hand, because I have a wonderful machine quilter in Topeka, Kansas who does a lot of them with her long arm quilting machine and does a beautiful job.

Of course there are several Log Cabin quilts, Boston Commons (by far my favorite), Lone Star, many wall hangings and I'm still making more quilts. My children each have one of my quilts as do my grandsons, but I continue making them. Some day my closets will be stacked to the ceiling with quilts. Like they say, all this fabric I've purchased helps with insulating my house, and I continue to buy more fabric. It's an obsession, I guess.

No comments: